Frequently Asked Questions
(Last updated on June 24th, 2019)
Here is a collection of frequently asked questions about the process.
- About the Search for Torchbearers
- About the Torchbearer Application Process
- Personal Information
About the Search for Torchbearers
- Q Are any companies besides Nippon Life recruiting torchbearers?
- A Torchbearers are recruited by each Prefecture’s Task Force, as well as by Nippon Life and the other Tokyo 2020 Olympic Torch Relay Presenting Partners.
About the Torchbearer Application Process
- Q Can I apply via post/telephone/fax?
- A We will not be accepting applications via post/telephone/fax. Please apply via our Olympic Torchbearer application website. We apologize for the inconvenience.
- Q I live overseas. Can I still apply?
- A There are no limitations concerning nationality and current address. However, in general we are looking for people who have some sort of relationship to the prefecture that they request, i.e. currently living there or having lived there in the past, being currently employed or in school there, having family or relatives there, or having otherwise been active there in the past.
- Q Are there any costs associated with the application process?
- A The application process itself is free. However, any internet or mobile carrier costs required in the application process are to be borne by the applicant. Also, in the event that you are selected, all transporation costs to and from the designated site on the day of the relay are to be borne by the torchbearer.
- Q Can I apply on behalf of another person?
- A Nippon Life cannot accept recommendations or applications on behalf of another person. Please apply on your own or encourage the person you have in mind to apply.
- Q When will I be notified of the date, time, and place of my run?
- A The Tokyo Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games will contact those who are selected to be torchbearers via email beginning in mid-February 2020 and up to two weeks before the day of the relay.
- Q Is it possible to request a change in date/time after being selected?
- A We are not able to accept requests to change date/time after notifying those selected to be Torchbearers. If you become unable to run on the day you have been selected for, your selection will be rescinded.
- Q Is there a limit to the running time in the actual Torch relay? How far will I be expected to run?
- A There is no set time in which you are expected to complete your run. Feel free to run at your own pace. We anticipate setting the distance for each individual torchbearer at around 200 meters.
- Q Is it possible to have somebody else run on my behalf?
- A We do not expect replacement or substitute torchbearers.
- Q Where can I find out more about the Recruitment of Torchbearers?
A You can find more information about the Olympic Torch Relay on the official Tokyo Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games website.
- Q What is your policy concerning the handling of Personal Information?
A Please see below for Nippon Life's Personal Information Protection Policy. Also see the Torchbearer Application Requirements and Terms and Conditions.